10 August, 2010

We need a mechanical miracle.

So van goes into the shop. It's gotten about 4qts of oil added over the last 3 weeks. I observed, with my own eyes, oil running out the bottom of the engine. Not dripping. RUNNING. In addition to the oil problem (which has been going on for awhile), we were also having difficulty with it shifting. So the mechanic gets it this morning and says he felt some "minor slipping" of the transmission but that there is not any indication of an oil or transmission leak. Umm, HELLO, it is losing oil at the rate of a quart/wk and it was 3qts low on transmission fluid. Is that not sufficient "evidence of a leak". ARGH. So instead of stressing over it longer I did the only thing I could think to do. I bought a AAA membership. I didn't just buy any membership. I bought the super-duper, uber-crazy, fancy-schmancy membership. It will cover towing, rental van, and up to $750 of "trip interruption" coverage, among other things. Sounds like a good investment to me. It cost less than one in-town tow charge so I know we will eventually get our moneys worth.

Meanwhile I'm working at home on as much as I can. Packing and cleaning and stalking the student loan disbursement updates are soaking up my days. Hanging on the 'puter too. Oh, and making lists. Lots of lists. I may even need a list of lists to keep track of.

No comments: