04 August, 2010

Amazement.

I am amazed daily by the lack of concern and attention that corporations pay towards their products. Today's head shaking moment is brought to you by Huggies (Kimberly-Clark). Oak is old enough now that he resists diapers. He's not yet ready to make the leap to big-boy and potty learn, but he also is offended by the baby image diapers send to the outside world. Ego develops early I guess. Anyway, so I have started buying Pull-Ups. I purchase them at Costco in a combo pack that includes 2 packs of "Learning Designs" pull-ups and 1 pack of "Night-Time" pull-ups. I don't have room to leave them in such precarious and awkward packaging so when I get home I stack them in a basket near our changing area. I realized today that there is no way to tell which pull-ups are which. There's nothing on a night-time pull-up that indicates it's special super-absorbant powers. They look the same, feel the same, have the same designs and I cannot see any distinguishing marks. This seems like a very "DUH" kind of thing to me. Most people, if they are buying the night-time version are probably going to also have the daytime version in their cart. How hard is it to put an "NT" or a little moon around the waistband printing? What design moron didn't think "oh hey, maybe they should be identifiably different than the daytime pull-ups"? Did they not ASK any mothers. Surely, if given a variety of pull-ups to field test some busy mama like myself would have said "this is a problem". And before anyone says "big deal, don't worry about it", you should know that the night-time pull ups cost more (quite a lot more), and that daytime pull-ups leak and are not absorbent enough for night use (at least with my child). You wake up in a puddle of urine (or to change toddler bedding at 3am if you don't co-sleep) and then tell me this is no big deal. It's big enough that I sent an email and will buy something else next time. It's not worth the wasted money and aggravation, particularly since this is such a stupid oversight on the part of a giant mega-corporation.

No comments: