01 August, 2010

Fall gardening. Dreamy.

With forecasted temperatures the highest they've been all summer I'm doing the only thing I can to cope. I'm thinking of cooler weather. Fall gardening is another new adventure to embark on. I drew up a map of my garden. Summer gardening had a steep learning curve. Shady spots were actually sunny, and vice versa. Ants tried to destroy my squash and mostly succeeded. Rabbits tried to eat almost everything but rabbit fences took care of that. Tomatillos flowered and flowered and flowered but so far no fruit. Fall gardening will learn from what summer gardening taught me.

Spinach and spring mix will fill one bed. Broccoli and some donated cauliflower will fill another. Peas and carrots will go in the deep bed with the basil bush (it is enormous, seriously). That leaves a whole 16sf space to plant something else. Suggestions? I could put peas in the big bed (it has better human access) and put something else behind the carrots. I'm actually thinking sweet corn. I would have thought it was too late but according to planting guides it can be planted in August. That would fill the big bed in the middle of the yard. Hmmm.

No comments: